Book Review: Clash! 8 Cultural Conflicts That Make Us Who We Are

The book  Clash! 8 Cultural Conflicts That Make Us Who We Are   is a highly respected book that discusses the seemingly trivial and mun...


The book Clash! 8 Cultural Conflicts That Make Us Who We Are is a highly respected book that discusses the seemingly trivial and mundane aspects of society. The ideas provided throughout the book is anything but as the authors Hazel Rose Markus and Alana Conner successfully explains what makes the variety of cultures in the world so different, and why people outside of one culture have a hard time accepting another. In sum, the authors break everything up and classify them into two selves, with four 'i's: independent and interdependent, and I's, Interactions, Institutions, and Ideas. To do a little bit more research and get a more thorough breakdown, here is the website to visit.

Upon beginning this book, I had no idea what to expect. Truth be told - I did not even fully understand what the heck Sociology even was. I knew that the suffix '-ology' meant 'the study of', so I ended up with the conclusion that Sociology is the study of being social. {I suppose my English & Lit teacher forcing us to memorize those prefixes and suffixes have come in handy. Eh?} I also was unaware that there are two selves that different cultures use (although some use both). As I was reading the book, I recognized some of the scenarios Hazel and Alana gave, which helped identified who used what self and when they used it. I finally understood why. Why women seem to not do as well when surrounded by a ton of male counterparts. Why Asians do not like to speak their mind while learning. Why Americans prefer to have choices. Why white people think that race is not still present. Why making friends of different races seem to be a bit intimidating. Why non-profits do not always get as much as they need. I get it!

I can now distinguish the 8 cultural conflicts at hand: West vs. East, Male vs. Female, White vs. Colored, Rich vs. Poor, Conservative Protestants vs. Mainstream Protestants, Midwesterners vs. Southerners, Businesses vs. Non-Profits and Government, and Global North vs. Global South.

This book is something that I highly recommend you read - and take your time when you do! - so that you can better understand social happenings. Don't succumb to the oblivion of life. Make yourself aware.

Check Out These Posts

0 comments